From the year of its inception (2013), the Hockey India League has kept its promise of bringing some of the world’s biggest Hockey legends to Indian turf. In its bid to give the Indian Hockey fan a taste of world class action on the turf, the HIL has managed to rope in some of the biggest names of the world Hockey as well as Indian talents. The annual hockey carnival has almost arrived. The Hockey Stadiums will be alive with some fast and entertaining display of world class hockey in the upcoming Hockey India League 2017.
This year 6 players from Odisha will be seen in action during Hockey India League 2017 in 3 Different Teams.
- Birendra Lakra :- One of the finest defender of his generation, Birendra Lakra is the backbone of Team Ranchi . Ranchi will hope that Birendra will be able to showcase his class to win the title. He has had a decorated career both at the domestic and international level. The 26 year old defender have played more than 100 international matches for India including major tournaments like 2012 Olympic, 2014 Asian games 2014 World Cup, 2014 Champions Trophy and many more. He has been the integral part of Team Ranchi (Ranchi Rhino & Ranchi Rays ) since the tournament started .He have played vital role for Team Ranchi’s Success in Hockey India League. Ranchi Rays will be relying on their strong defence in the HIL, as emphasized by dependable defender, Birendra Lakra.. He will play a key role for the Ranchi Rays in the upcoming edition with his experience.
- Dipsan Tirkey :- Vice-captain of the gold winning Indian junior men’s World Cup squad Dipsan Tirkey is already a star despite being the youngest deep defender of the Kalinga Lancers team that has set its eyes on the Hockey India League. At 14 years of age, Dipsan made his presence known when he became the youngest member of Hockey India League (HIL) and played for the Kalinga Lancers team in 2014 . Since then, Dipsan has already registered many scoring points under his belt for his team and is now its core part. It is worthwhile to mention that this young Indian defender was picked by Kalinga Lancers franchise for a staggering price of USD 31000 for the 2016 edition of HIL where he wowed the spectators with his impressive performance. His expertise in tackling the matches reflects how an accomplished defender Dipsan is at such a tender age!
- Neelam Sanjeep Xess :- Asia Cup winning – India’s Under-18 hockey team skipper Nilam Sanjeep Xess, who is making his Hockey India League (HIL) debut in the upcoming edition for Kalinga Lancers, could be a key player for the team. He made his India debut at the 12th South Asian Games last year in Guwahati, Where the team clinched silver medal. Odia Hockey fans are expecting a good stick play from him.
- Amit Rohidas:- who has already made his mark at the junior international level and Hockey India League is now eyeing to win 1st Hockey Indian League title for Kalinga Lancers. He has already won 2 Hockey India League title playing for Team Ranchi Rhino and Ranchi Rays .The 24 year young defender was a key player of Team Ranchi (Ranchi Rhino & Ranchi Rays) from 2013-15 in HIL. He Joined Team Kalinga Lancers in 2016.
- Anand Lakra :- He made his HIL debut for Team Ranchi Rays in 2015 and the very next year Team Kalinga Lancers purchased him. The Hockey India League gave him an opportunity to hone his skills. Heis being seen as an exciting prospect to serve the team in the defence. He is yet to enter the prime of his career, his abilities have been no less than any other stalwart sportsperson.
- Roshan Minz :- The Star forward have made his HIL debut for Kalinga Lancers in 2015. But in 2016 Team Dabang Mumbai purchased him for 6000$. This year Team Dabang Mumbai has retained him. With his experience and high-quality skills, he could break the jinx to take his team into the final for the first time in the history of the Hockey India League. He is one of the key odia players to look out in upcoming Hockey India league.